(I forgot to post this here to my blog a few weeks ago before Valentines Day so I realize the v-day comment isn’t exactly applicable again until next year. Just file it away for now!)
It’s hard for me to declare something my favorite dessert, as I really do have so many but if chocolate cream pie is an option, I never turn it down. I thought this would be a delicious dessert for your valentine and you can make it look a little more festive by adorning it with some fresh strawberries on top. The buttery pie crust, rich chocolate filling and towering freshly whipped cream make this pie a home run in my opinion.
Chocolate Cream Pie via: @somethingswanky ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
• 1 Pie Crust. I use store bought (Trader Joe’s) but you can certainly make your own.
• 3 egg yolks
• 3 cups milk (whole)
• 1 1/2 C sugar
• 3 tbsp cornstarch
• 1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 tbsp butter
• 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
• 3 C of heavy whipping cream ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
• 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
• 3 tsp vanilla
• chocolate bar for shavings (i use dark choc).⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
• Fully bake pie crust in a pie pan according to the directions. Set aside to cool.
• In a sauce pan, whisk together egg yolks and milk (without the heat on).
• In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining dry ingredients and pour into wet ingredients.
• Turn on the heat element to medium high and whisk constantly until mixture becomes thick and bubbles. This takes about 5-10 minutes. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
•Remove pan from heat and add butter and vanilla. Stir to combine. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
• Pour chocolate filling into cooked pie crust and allow to chill overnight or longer. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
• for the whipped cream, pour cream into mixing bowl and mix on high with a hand or stand mixer. Once the cream begins to slightly thicken, add in powered sugar and vanilla. Continue to mix until cream becomes firm but not clumpy (takes about 5-6 min) ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
•Spread the whipped cream on top of chilled pie and allow to sit in the fridge a few hours before serving.
•using a peeler or zester, lightly sprinkle chocolate shavings from a chocolate bar on top. Garnish with one whole strawberry or top with sliced strawberries or raspberries.
Be the first to comment