Raise your hand if comfort food is your jam ♀️
This chicken pot pie stays in my meal rotation for a few different reasons: it’s delicious, easy, makes for great leftovers and I can get two pies out of the recipe (one to eat, one to freeze). I have tweaked the recipe over the years to better suit my liking and accidentally discovered using puff pastry as my top layer instead of pie crust and I think it was possibly the best accident of my life. I know you and your family will love this version of an ultra flaky and savory chicken pot pie.⠀⠀⠀⠀
CHICKEN POT PIE (makes 2)
I N G R E N D I E N T S ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
• 1 1/4 cup peeled and diced potato (this is 1 russet potato)
• 1 cup sliced carrot (about 3 carrots)
• 1 stick of salted butter
• 1 cup diced onion (about 1 medium onion)
• 3 cloves minced garlic
• 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
• 1 cup milk
• 3 cups shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken
• 1 cup peas (frozen is fine)
• 2 pie shells (room temp)
• 2 puff pastry sheets (room temp)
• 1 egg beaten together with 1 tablespoon water to make an egg wash⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀
I N S T R U C T I O N S:
• Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
• Boil potatoes and carrots in a small saucepan for 5-8 minutes to soften. Drain.
• Melt 1/2 cup butter in a large sauté pan. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
• Add salt and pepper. Sprinkle flour on top and cook for 1 minute, stirring to evenly cook the flour.
• Gradually whisk in chicken broth and then milk. Add potatoes and carrots and let simmer for a few minutes to thicken. Check for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if desired.
• Stir in chicken and peas. Turn heat off.
• Pour half the mixture into one of the prepared pie shell and the remaining mixture into the other.
• Place puff pastry sheet on top of each pie and trim excess.
• Press the two crusts together to seal and crimp edge using your fingers.
• Brush egg white on top of the pot pie and use a knife to cut 4 slits to let steam escape.
• Sprinkle sea salt flakes on top (optional)
• Place on a baking sheet and place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.